Saturday, October 10, 2009

Knots

I thought we were living in a wirefree world. Then I left my Ipod earphones unattended for a day.
If there are any deeply religious people reading my blog, this is your best chance at convincing me of the existence of a god. There seems to be an invisible superpower that has decreed that Ipod earphones can never be left unknotted.


In Christian mythology (and isn't it all mythology?), it is said that the best way to keep the devil occupied and not have him chase you to the underworld is a series of knots laid in front of him! why now?...thats the exact opposite of GOD isnt it? How convenient!


God knots and the devil has to undo them :D. this is all very nice, but when it happens to my earphones, I lose patience. which is the same thing that happens when I talk to deeply religious people who try to instill the fear of god in me. He knots for gods sake! I may need to recruit the devil if god keeps on doing this with my earphones though.


On the subject of knots, there are a few knots that are considered sacred...like the Tibetan knot. 
The endless knot has been described as "an ancient symbol representing the interweaving of the Spiritual Path, the flowing of Time and Movement within That Which is Eternal. All existence, it says, is bound by time and change, yet ultimately rests serenely within the Divine and the Eternal.




The real intention of the knot is to Understand the natural rule of cause and effect tied to your actions. 


If you pull one side it will pull another part





The Tibetan knot can stand for karmic consequences: pull here, something happens over there. It is an apt symbol for the Vajrayana methods: Often when we tug at one part of a knot while trying to loosen it, another part gets tighter. You have to work with the knot to get it to come undone.

I always thought the Buddha was one of the wisest philosophers to ever walk the planet. Although the problem with philosophy is that it offers tangible arguments to both sides of the story. But that is another blog post, another day.


But I can't help thinking that it somewhat mirrors life very closely. There are knots, and if you try to pull one side hard, the other side comes undone...the best way to deal with them is to have patience and be curious enough to unravel them one step at a time... 


The good news is, I think I have what it takes. I also think everyone else does too.

No comments: