Monday, October 05, 2009

Living Another Life.

I just had to come back and post this before I went out.

Today I found the best possible way of looking at the past. Well to be honest, I didn't exactly stumble on it today... I have been experiencing it for a while now. I just realized it today.

Today my father turned 73(it just seems a million times better referring to him as 'father' rather than good ol 'dad' today). I stayed at home, and listened to my father figure (literally) recount his life. He explained the reason why we have different perspectives on life and also explained why they differ so much at times.

What I am saying now seems like common knowledge generation gap stuff. But it is so much more.

The best way of looking at the past is through someone's eyes. I know that objectivity is the holy grail of all reporting. But I would rather look at the past from the different perspectives of the various people who have experienced it. I like a little personal touch in my stories.

Of Course it doesn't mean I want my stories peppered with meaningless opinions and voice overs, but it fascinates me more when I can understand the past from someone's honest perspective and look at the impact it has made on them.

I think of events in the past as blots of ink, that are created when a fountain pen touches a piece of tissue. It starts from a single point of occurrence or the epicenter, and spreads out unevenly leaving a mark on the fabric of the tissue(the fabric of time is the intended metaphor here).

And events of the past mean so much more coming from your parent. Hearing your father speak can sometimes reveal fascinating insights about yourself that you never thought existed.

For example:
  • I know now why I sometimes act over my age.
  • I know how I inherited my sense about the value of money
  • I know now why I have more patience than most people
  • I know why I really listen to people and also discovered why people actually listen to me when I speak.
  • I know why I forgive people more
  • I know why I sometimes get angry without having enough reasons
  • I know why I go to stores to buy something specific and end up not buying anything
  • I know why I spend large chunks of time with people and focus all my energy on them
  • I also know now why I am the way I am with kids and elderly people.
I have never had more insightful conversations with anyone else.

So thank you father: you are my fountain pen. And I am honoured to be the tissue on which you leave your mark.

1 comment:

Atom said...

Umang...This is so emotional knowing you and masa and your relationship they way I have come across always...All I know is Masa would be on top of the world if he knew about this post of yours...give me his email address am going to email him! Bless you both...