Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Parallel Universes

I was watching this movie last night... Have you ever watched a movie and thought that it was a really good movie and then recommend that someone else watch it with you? Didn't feel that good watching it the second time around did it?? The movie seemed to drag on forever and the funny innuendoes were too few and far in between.

Aright, Coming back to the intended topic of discussion today... Parallel universes. No, no reason to curl up and die expecting to hear complex mathematical and physical equations and definitions of string theory (I never could wrap my head around that actually).

So now that I have successfully confused you, I will come back to the point...
"The point."
That is exactly what I want to talk about... 'The point'

The Point where it all started - The Big Bang
The big bang theory states that since the entire universe is continuously expanding at a rapid rate, the universe, by natural regression would have originated with a very very miniscule and infinitely dense - Point. That was where space and time converged... and almost didn't exist.

Expanding universe and the speed of light
Now that you are familiar with the concept of the expanding universe, the next concept that you should already be familiar with is the concept of speed of light and its travel through space. I think most of us look at the night sky in awe at the millions and billions of celestial objects out there and tell people how insignificant it makes us feel in the whole scheme of things. This has been personally communicated to me in these exact words at least 10 times by 10 different people.
So there.

The place where the past meets the present
What I think of, when I look at the night sky is the unquestionable fact that I am glancing at the significant past. The scene that you see up there isn't a new 2009 blockbuster movie but more like an old old 1940s silent film. The light that reaches your eyes has travelled for such a long time that by the time you 'see' it, the thing that caused the light may not even exist anymore. The part that really trips my senses is that every time time you look up, you see the past replaying itself in front of your very eyes, in the present.

The Significant Past
In the journey from that single 'point' to here, I think there are more reasons than the most powerful supercomputer can figure out for us not to be here. One asteroid or comet gone awry might have resulted in the solar system not being created at all. What we are is the culmination of 14 billion years' worth of a series of events that played out in a random yet specific order so that you and I could sit in front of our laptops and read my blog.

The Point of it all
Each departure at every point along the way between the starting point and now, would have resulted in a different outcome than the one we have right this instant. so my theory of parallel universes is nothing but a series of possibilities that can or could have happened if one of the factors in the series of never ending events plays out differently.

Do I have the power to change that one factor and influence my present and future? maybe I do.
In the scheme of the last 14 billion years, Does it matter significantly what I do with the next 30 minutes? Probably not.

Why do I still worry about it sometimes?
I shouldn't. So I am going to play dice...
Bring on the Parallel Universes with their endless possibilities, I'm ready to jump.


No comments: