Thursday, February 04, 2010

The eventuality of things


I have never been a firm believer in the concept of eventuality. If there was a cause worth fighting for, I was right there with my sword defending it regardless of its futile nature and despite the fact that in eventuality my actions may not matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

This is probably why I do not see things that other people see until they smack me square in the face. To the uninformed observer this might look like a naiveté handicap, however it is best described as a stubborn disposition that sometimes overwhelms instinct and causes more harm by trying to maintain status quo in situations that are beyond hope.

There are various eventualities that as humans we sometimes ignore; some due to our inability to see the facts (and recognize them for what they are) and some due to our inability to accept them. When we finally do face the eventuality, it usually leaves us with a feeling of being let down; and in most cases it is too late to do anything about it.

However there is a silver lining to this… although an eventuality may lead to the death of a dream, idea or endeavor; it opens up the space for newer dreams and ideas to flow through. What we do with this opportunity is completely our discretion. We can sit around and mourn the death of our ideas and goals while new ones stare us in the face, or straddle up and take on the next challenge that comes through all the annihilation of the past.

What needs to change is the perception of failure… from something that leaves us feeling humiliated to something that opens up newer opportunities. Who knows what may be more important to us 10 years down the line… Do I want to chance my hand at guessing that by being inflexible in my choices now? I don’t honestly know.

What does matter to me is that regardless of whether my ideas and endeavors survive to become reality or die a horrible death, I as a person continue to find new peaks to scale.

No comments: